From EatingWell: September/October 2012
This healthy caramel apple recipe has just enough caramel to give a nice hit of salty-sweet flavor in each bite for a tasty dessert.
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped unsalted nuts, such as peanuts or pecans
- 6 small apples, such as Eve or Paula Red
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and coat with cooking spray. Coat a tablespoon measure with cooking spray.
- Combine brown sugar, agave, butter and salt in a small saucepan. Place over medium heat; as soon as the syrup starts to lightly bubble around the edges, cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute more. Add nuts and cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar is melted and the mixture darkens, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Working quickly, spoon about 1 tablespoon of caramel over each apple. Repeat, spooning another tablespoon of caramel over each apple, turning as you pour.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Insert popsicle/craft sticks into the tops. Press any stray strands of caramel back onto the apples. Let cool for at least 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in wax paper at room temperature for up to 1 day. | Equipment: Wooden popsicle/craft sticks
- Shopping Tip: Choose unbruised, firm apples with smooth skin. Store for up to 4 months in the refrigerator.
Per serving: 225 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 23 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 54 mg sodium; 207 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2012