From EatingWell: September/October 2012
This healthy caramel apple recipe has just enough caramel to give a nice hit of salty-sweet flavor in each bite for a tasty dessert.
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped unsalted nuts, such as peanuts or pecans
- 6 small apples, such as Eve or Paula Red
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and coat with cooking spray. Coat a tablespoon measure with cooking spray.
- Combine brown sugar, agave, butter and salt in a small saucepan. Place over medium heat; as soon as the syrup starts to lightly bubble around the edges, cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute more. Add nuts and cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar is melted and the mixture darkens, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Working quickly, spoon about 1 tablespoon of caramel over each apple. Repeat, spooning another tablespoon of caramel over each apple, turning as you pour.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Insert popsicle/craft sticks into the tops. Press any stray strands of caramel back onto the apples. Let cool for at least 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in wax paper at room temperature for up to 1 day. | Equipment: Wooden popsicle/craft sticks
- Shopping Tip: Choose unbruised, firm apples with smooth skin. Store for up to 4 months in the refrigerator.
Per serving: 225 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 23 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 54 mg sodium; 207 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2012