From EatingWell: September/October 2012
This healthy caramel apple recipe has just enough caramel to give a nice hit of salty-sweet flavor in each bite for a tasty dessert.
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped unsalted nuts, such as peanuts or pecans
- 6 small apples, such as Eve or Paula Red
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and coat with cooking spray. Coat a tablespoon measure with cooking spray.
- Combine brown sugar, agave, butter and salt in a small saucepan. Place over medium heat; as soon as the syrup starts to lightly bubble around the edges, cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute more. Add nuts and cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar is melted and the mixture darkens, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Working quickly, spoon about 1 tablespoon of caramel over each apple. Repeat, spooning another tablespoon of caramel over each apple, turning as you pour.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Insert popsicle/craft sticks into the tops. Press any stray strands of caramel back onto the apples. Let cool for at least 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in wax paper at room temperature for up to 1 day. | Equipment: Wooden popsicle/craft sticks
- Shopping Tip: Choose unbruised, firm apples with smooth skin. Store for up to 4 months in the refrigerator.
Per serving: 225 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 23 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 54 mg sodium; 207 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2012