From EatingWell: November/December 1993
This traditional Sicilian antipasto is made with eggplant, olives and capers. Serve with toasted slices of French bread.
- 1 eggplant, (1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 small stalk celery, finely chopped
- 6 black olives, such as Kalamata, pitted and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon drained capers, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Pierce eggplant with a fork in several places and set on a baking sheet. Bake until the eggplant is soft when pressed, 30 to 40 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes. Peel off skin and discard. Finely chop the pulp.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and beginning to color, about 5 minutes. Add the eggplant, tomato sauce, wine, vinegar, celery, olives, capers and sugar; simmer, stirring often, until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Chill.
- Before serving, stir in parsley and season with salt, pepper and additional vinegar, if desired. Serve at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 29 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 89 mg sodium; 112 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- November/December 1993