From EatingWell: November/December 1993
This traditional Sicilian antipasto is made with eggplant, olives and capers. Serve with toasted slices of French bread.
- 1 eggplant, (1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 small stalk celery, finely chopped
- 6 black olives, such as Kalamata, pitted and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon drained capers, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Pierce eggplant with a fork in several places and set on a baking sheet. Bake until the eggplant is soft when pressed, 30 to 40 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes. Peel off skin and discard. Finely chop the pulp.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and beginning to color, about 5 minutes. Add the eggplant, tomato sauce, wine, vinegar, celery, olives, capers and sugar; simmer, stirring often, until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Chill.
- Before serving, stir in parsley and season with salt, pepper and additional vinegar, if desired. Serve at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 29 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 89 mg sodium; 112 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- November/December 1993