From EatingWell: November/December 1993
This traditional Sicilian antipasto is made with eggplant, olives and capers. Serve with toasted slices of French bread.
- 1 eggplant, (1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 small stalk celery, finely chopped
- 6 black olives, such as Kalamata, pitted and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon drained capers, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Pierce eggplant with a fork in several places and set on a baking sheet. Bake until the eggplant is soft when pressed, 30 to 40 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes. Peel off skin and discard. Finely chop the pulp.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and beginning to color, about 5 minutes. Add the eggplant, tomato sauce, wine, vinegar, celery, olives, capers and sugar; simmer, stirring often, until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Chill.
- Before serving, stir in parsley and season with salt, pepper and additional vinegar, if desired. Serve at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 29 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 89 mg sodium; 112 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- November/December 1993