From EatingWell: November/December 1993
This traditional Sicilian antipasto is made with eggplant, olives and capers. Serve with toasted slices of French bread.
- 1 eggplant, (1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 small stalk celery, finely chopped
- 6 black olives, such as Kalamata, pitted and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon drained capers, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Pierce eggplant with a fork in several places and set on a baking sheet. Bake until the eggplant is soft when pressed, 30 to 40 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes. Peel off skin and discard. Finely chop the pulp.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and beginning to color, about 5 minutes. Add the eggplant, tomato sauce, wine, vinegar, celery, olives, capers and sugar; simmer, stirring often, until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Chill.
- Before serving, stir in parsley and season with salt, pepper and additional vinegar, if desired. Serve at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 29 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 89 mg sodium; 112 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- November/December 1993