From EatingWell: November/December 1993
This traditional Sicilian antipasto is made with eggplant, olives and capers. Serve with toasted slices of French bread.
- 1 eggplant, (1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1 small stalk celery, finely chopped
- 6 black olives, such as Kalamata, pitted and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon drained capers, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Pierce eggplant with a fork in several places and set on a baking sheet. Bake until the eggplant is soft when pressed, 30 to 40 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes. Peel off skin and discard. Finely chop the pulp.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and beginning to color, about 5 minutes. Add the eggplant, tomato sauce, wine, vinegar, celery, olives, capers and sugar; simmer, stirring often, until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Chill.
- Before serving, stir in parsley and season with salt, pepper and additional vinegar, if desired. Serve at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 29 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 89 mg sodium; 112 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- November/December 1993