Capicola & Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches
In this sandwich grilled eggplant and red bell peppers are paired with thin slices of garlicky capicola (a dry-cured rolled pork shoulder) and spicy arugula, all on grilled Italian bread.
- 1 small eggplant, (about 12 ounces), cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 2 large red bell peppers, roasted and sliced, or two 6-ounce jars roasted red peppers, drained, rinsed and sliced
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices Italian bread, preferably whole-grain
- 4 ounces thinly sliced capicola, (see Note)
- 1 bunch arugula, trimmed (4 cups)
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Place eggplant slices in a large colander over a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and let stand for 15 minutes. Rinse well under running water and pat dry.
- Brush oil lightly over both sides of the eggplant slices. Grill or broil the eggplant until tender, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Place in a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon vinegar and half of the minced garlic.
- Toss peppers in a separate bowl with the remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar and garlic. Season with pepper.
- Grill or broil bread until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- To assemble sandwiches, layer capicola, the eggplant, the red peppers and arugula between toasted bread slices.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Capicola is rolled pork shoulder cured like ham. It can be found in Italian markets and the deli section of large supermarkets.
Per serving: 191 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 7 g fiber; 566 mg sodium; 596 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (190% daily value), Vitamin A (60% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Entertaining, casual
- Main Ingredient