Capicola & Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches
In this sandwich grilled eggplant and red bell peppers are paired with thin slices of garlicky capicola (a dry-cured rolled pork shoulder) and spicy arugula, all on grilled Italian bread.
- 1 small eggplant, (about 12 ounces), cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 2 large red bell peppers, roasted and sliced, or two 6-ounce jars roasted red peppers, drained, rinsed and sliced
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices Italian bread, preferably whole-grain
- 4 ounces thinly sliced capicola, (see Note)
- 1 bunch arugula, trimmed (4 cups)
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Place eggplant slices in a large colander over a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and let stand for 15 minutes. Rinse well under running water and pat dry.
- Brush oil lightly over both sides of the eggplant slices. Grill or broil the eggplant until tender, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Place in a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon vinegar and half of the minced garlic.
- Toss peppers in a separate bowl with the remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar and garlic. Season with pepper.
- Grill or broil bread until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- To assemble sandwiches, layer capicola, the eggplant, the red peppers and arugula between toasted bread slices.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Capicola is rolled pork shoulder cured like ham. It can be found in Italian markets and the deli section of large supermarkets.
Per serving: 191 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 7 g fiber; 566 mg sodium; 596 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (190% daily value), Vitamin A (60% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Entertaining, casual
- Main Ingredient