Capicola & Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches
In this sandwich grilled eggplant and red bell peppers are paired with thin slices of garlicky capicola (a dry-cured rolled pork shoulder) and spicy arugula, all on grilled Italian bread.
- 1 small eggplant, (about 12 ounces), cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 2 large red bell peppers, roasted and sliced, or two 6-ounce jars roasted red peppers, drained, rinsed and sliced
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices Italian bread, preferably whole-grain
- 4 ounces thinly sliced capicola, (see Note)
- 1 bunch arugula, trimmed (4 cups)
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Place eggplant slices in a large colander over a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and let stand for 15 minutes. Rinse well under running water and pat dry.
- Brush oil lightly over both sides of the eggplant slices. Grill or broil the eggplant until tender, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Place in a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon vinegar and half of the minced garlic.
- Toss peppers in a separate bowl with the remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar and garlic. Season with pepper.
- Grill or broil bread until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- To assemble sandwiches, layer capicola, the eggplant, the red peppers and arugula between toasted bread slices.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Capicola is rolled pork shoulder cured like ham. It can be found in Italian markets and the deli section of large supermarkets.
Per serving: 191 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 7 g fiber; 566 mg sodium; 596 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (190% daily value), Vitamin A (60% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Entertaining, casual
- Main Ingredient