Capicola & Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches
In this sandwich grilled eggplant and red bell peppers are paired with thin slices of garlicky capicola (a dry-cured rolled pork shoulder) and spicy arugula, all on grilled Italian bread.
- 1 small eggplant, (about 12 ounces), cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 2 large red bell peppers, roasted and sliced, or two 6-ounce jars roasted red peppers, drained, rinsed and sliced
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 1/2-inch-thick slices Italian bread, preferably whole-grain
- 4 ounces thinly sliced capicola, (see Note)
- 1 bunch arugula, trimmed (4 cups)
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Place eggplant slices in a large colander over a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and let stand for 15 minutes. Rinse well under running water and pat dry.
- Brush oil lightly over both sides of the eggplant slices. Grill or broil the eggplant until tender, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Place in a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon vinegar and half of the minced garlic.
- Toss peppers in a separate bowl with the remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar and garlic. Season with pepper.
- Grill or broil bread until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- To assemble sandwiches, layer capicola, the eggplant, the red peppers and arugula between toasted bread slices.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Capicola is rolled pork shoulder cured like ham. It can be found in Italian markets and the deli section of large supermarkets.
Per serving: 191 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 7 g fiber; 566 mg sodium; 596 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (190% daily value), Vitamin A (60% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Entertaining, casual
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient