From EatingWell: September 1998
Though cannoli might seem like an overly decadent treat for a healthy diet, these are filled with a mixture of reduced-fat cream cheese and nonfat ricotta for less fat with all the creaminess.
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup nonfat ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 10 Pizzelle Cannoli Shells, (recipe follows)
- 2 tablespoons chopped peeled pistachios
- Puree confectioners’ sugar, cream cheese, ricotta and vanilla in a food processor.
- Bring 1/2 inch water to a gentle simmer in a small skillet. Sprinkle gelatin over 2 tablespoons water in a small heatproof bowl. Let stand for 1 minute to soften. Set the bowl in the simmering water just until the gelatin has dissolved. Add gelatin to cheese mixture and process until smooth. Add chocolate chips and orange zest; pulse until just combined. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until firm, 1 to 2 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, spoon filling into a pastry bag fitted with a large star or plain tip. Holding Pizzelle Cannoli Shells seam-side up, pipe in filling. Sprinkle pistachios over filling at each end. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2; cover and refrigerate overnight. Whisk until smooth before proceeding.
- If you don't have a pastry bag, use a plastic food-storage bag with a 1/2-inch hole snipped in one corner.
Per serving: 215 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 119 mg sodium; 93 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 lean meat, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- September 1998
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)