From EatingWell: September 1998
Though cannoli might seem like an overly decadent treat for a healthy diet, these are filled with a mixture of reduced-fat cream cheese and nonfat ricotta for less fat with all the creaminess.
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup nonfat ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 10 Pizzelle Cannoli Shells, (recipe follows)
- 2 tablespoons chopped peeled pistachios
- Puree confectioners’ sugar, cream cheese, ricotta and vanilla in a food processor.
- Bring 1/2 inch water to a gentle simmer in a small skillet. Sprinkle gelatin over 2 tablespoons water in a small heatproof bowl. Let stand for 1 minute to soften. Set the bowl in the simmering water just until the gelatin has dissolved. Add gelatin to cheese mixture and process until smooth. Add chocolate chips and orange zest; pulse until just combined. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until firm, 1 to 2 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, spoon filling into a pastry bag fitted with a large star or plain tip. Holding Pizzelle Cannoli Shells seam-side up, pipe in filling. Sprinkle pistachios over filling at each end. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2; cover and refrigerate overnight. Whisk until smooth before proceeding.
- If you don't have a pastry bag, use a plastic food-storage bag with a 1/2-inch hole snipped in one corner.
Per serving: 215 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 119 mg sodium; 93 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 lean meat, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- September 1998