From EatingWell: September 1998
Though cannoli might seem like an overly decadent treat for a healthy diet, these are filled with a mixture of reduced-fat cream cheese and nonfat ricotta for less fat with all the creaminess.
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup nonfat ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 10 Pizzelle Cannoli Shells, (recipe follows)
- 2 tablespoons chopped peeled pistachios
- Puree confectioners’ sugar, cream cheese, ricotta and vanilla in a food processor.
- Bring 1/2 inch water to a gentle simmer in a small skillet. Sprinkle gelatin over 2 tablespoons water in a small heatproof bowl. Let stand for 1 minute to soften. Set the bowl in the simmering water just until the gelatin has dissolved. Add gelatin to cheese mixture and process until smooth. Add chocolate chips and orange zest; pulse until just combined. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until firm, 1 to 2 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, spoon filling into a pastry bag fitted with a large star or plain tip. Holding Pizzelle Cannoli Shells seam-side up, pipe in filling. Sprinkle pistachios over filling at each end. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2; cover and refrigerate overnight. Whisk until smooth before proceeding.
- If you don't have a pastry bag, use a plastic food-storage bag with a 1/2-inch hole snipped in one corner.
Per serving: 215 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 119 mg sodium; 93 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 lean meat, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- September 1998