From EatingWell: September 1998
Though cannoli might seem like an overly decadent treat for a healthy diet, these are filled with a mixture of reduced-fat cream cheese and nonfat ricotta for less fat with all the creaminess.
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup nonfat ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 10 Pizzelle Cannoli Shells, (recipe follows)
- 2 tablespoons chopped peeled pistachios
- Puree confectioners’ sugar, cream cheese, ricotta and vanilla in a food processor.
- Bring 1/2 inch water to a gentle simmer in a small skillet. Sprinkle gelatin over 2 tablespoons water in a small heatproof bowl. Let stand for 1 minute to soften. Set the bowl in the simmering water just until the gelatin has dissolved. Add gelatin to cheese mixture and process until smooth. Add chocolate chips and orange zest; pulse until just combined. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until firm, 1 to 2 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, spoon filling into a pastry bag fitted with a large star or plain tip. Holding Pizzelle Cannoli Shells seam-side up, pipe in filling. Sprinkle pistachios over filling at each end. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2; cover and refrigerate overnight. Whisk until smooth before proceeding.
- If you don't have a pastry bag, use a plastic food-storage bag with a 1/2-inch hole snipped in one corner.
Per serving: 215 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 119 mg sodium; 93 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 lean meat, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- September 1998