From EatingWell: September 1998
Though cannoli might seem like an overly decadent treat for a healthy diet, these are filled with a mixture of reduced-fat cream cheese and nonfat ricotta for less fat with all the creaminess.
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup nonfat ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 10 Pizzelle Cannoli Shells, (recipe follows)
- 2 tablespoons chopped peeled pistachios
- Puree confectioners’ sugar, cream cheese, ricotta and vanilla in a food processor.
- Bring 1/2 inch water to a gentle simmer in a small skillet. Sprinkle gelatin over 2 tablespoons water in a small heatproof bowl. Let stand for 1 minute to soften. Set the bowl in the simmering water just until the gelatin has dissolved. Add gelatin to cheese mixture and process until smooth. Add chocolate chips and orange zest; pulse until just combined. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until firm, 1 to 2 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, spoon filling into a pastry bag fitted with a large star or plain tip. Holding Pizzelle Cannoli Shells seam-side up, pipe in filling. Sprinkle pistachios over filling at each end. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2; cover and refrigerate overnight. Whisk until smooth before proceeding.
- If you don't have a pastry bag, use a plastic food-storage bag with a 1/2-inch hole snipped in one corner.
Per serving: 215 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 119 mg sodium; 93 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 lean meat, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- September 1998