Candied Grapefruit Peels
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
A fine cup of coffee and two or three of these bittersweet confections make a fitting conclusion to a holiday meal. The peels remain soft and full of flavor because they are made with the entire peel, including the white pith. The same technique can be applied to navel oranges.
- 3 pink grapefruit
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup coarse sugar, such as crystal or sanding sugar
- Thoroughly scrub grapefruit with warm water and dry. Divide the peel of each grapefruit into 4 segments by inserting a sharp knife just to the flesh and making 4 equidistant longitudinal lines. Carefully peel back the quarters to remove the peel (including white pith) in one piece. (Reserve the flesh for another use.) Following the contour of the peel, cut each quarter into 6 or 8 lengthwise strips.
- Put the peels in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, blanch for 1 minute and drain. Repeat 2 more times.
- Combine granulated sugar, lemon juice and the blanched peels in a large saucepan. Cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Simmer, stirring frequently, until nearly all the liquid has evaporated, 30 to 45 minutes. With tongs, transfer the peels to a wire rack and let cool for several hours.
- Spread coarse sugar in a shallow dish and roll each strip of peel in the sugar, shaking off excess.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container, with wax paper between each layer, in a cool, dry place for up to 3 months.
Per piece: 25 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 2 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 1993