Candied Grapefruit Peels
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
A fine cup of coffee and two or three of these bittersweet confections make a fitting conclusion to a holiday meal. The peels remain soft and full of flavor because they are made with the entire peel, including the white pith. The same technique can be applied to navel oranges.
- 3 pink grapefruit
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup coarse sugar, such as crystal or sanding sugar
- Thoroughly scrub grapefruit with warm water and dry. Divide the peel of each grapefruit into 4 segments by inserting a sharp knife just to the flesh and making 4 equidistant longitudinal lines. Carefully peel back the quarters to remove the peel (including white pith) in one piece. (Reserve the flesh for another use.) Following the contour of the peel, cut each quarter into 6 or 8 lengthwise strips.
- Put the peels in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, blanch for 1 minute and drain. Repeat 2 more times.
- Combine granulated sugar, lemon juice and the blanched peels in a large saucepan. Cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Simmer, stirring frequently, until nearly all the liquid has evaporated, 30 to 45 minutes. With tongs, transfer the peels to a wire rack and let cool for several hours.
- Spread coarse sugar in a shallow dish and roll each strip of peel in the sugar, shaking off excess.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container, with wax paper between each layer, in a cool, dry place for up to 3 months.
Per piece: 25 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 2 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 1993