Canadian Bacon & Scallion Mini Quiches
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Real men do eat quiche--or will when it's stuffed with Canadian bacon and cheese. Served over salad, these quiches make an elegant lunch or a quick, healthy dinner. You can also make them in advance, store them in the refrigerator, and let the kids have one or two for a healthy after-school snack.
- 5 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk, or low-fat milk
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 1 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 6 ounces Canadian bacon, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 12 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 12 nonstick (1/2-cup) muffin cups with cooking spray (see Tip).
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and buttermilk (or milk) in a large bowl. Stir in scallions, cheese, bacon and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Divide the egg mixture evenly among the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake until the eggs are cooked and beginning to brown on top, 25 to 28 minutes. Run a knife around edges to loosen the quiches from the cups.
- Meanwhile, whisk lemon juice, oil, mustard and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Add salad greens to the bowl; toss to coat with the dressing. To serve, divide the salad among 6 plates and top with tomato wedges and 2 quiches each.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap each quiche in plastic and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month. To reheat, remove plastic, wrap in a paper towel and microwave on High for 30 to 60 seconds. | Equipment: Muffin pan with 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups
- Use a good quality muffin tin or muffin liners.
Per serving: 268 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 202 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 4 g fiber; 677 mg sodium; 915 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Folate (46% dv), Calcium (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation