Canadian Bacon & Scallion Mini Quiches
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Real men do eat quiche--or will when it's stuffed with Canadian bacon and cheese. Served over salad, these quiches make an elegant lunch or a quick, healthy dinner. You can also make them in advance, store them in the refrigerator, and let the kids have one or two for a healthy after-school snack.
- 5 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk, or low-fat milk
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 1 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 6 ounces Canadian bacon, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 12 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 12 nonstick (1/2-cup) muffin cups with cooking spray (see Tip).
- Whisk eggs, egg whites and buttermilk (or milk) in a large bowl. Stir in scallions, cheese, bacon and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Divide the egg mixture evenly among the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake until the eggs are cooked and beginning to brown on top, 25 to 28 minutes. Run a knife around edges to loosen the quiches from the cups.
- Meanwhile, whisk lemon juice, oil, mustard and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Add salad greens to the bowl; toss to coat with the dressing. To serve, divide the salad among 6 plates and top with tomato wedges and 2 quiches each.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap each quiche in plastic and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month. To reheat, remove plastic, wrap in a paper towel and microwave on High for 30 to 60 seconds. | Equipment: Muffin pan with 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups
- Use a good quality muffin tin or muffin liners.
Per serving: 268 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 202 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 4 g fiber; 677 mg sodium; 915 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Vitamin C (60% dv), Folate (46% dv), Calcium (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat