California Hot Dog Recipe
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
We know avocado, sprouts and curry powder aren’t your typical hot dog toppings, but trust us, this is a delicious combo! For the best crunch, make sure your sprouts are fresh. If you like a little kick, use hot curry powder or add a pinch of cayenne.
- 1 grilled hot dog (see Tip)
- 1 whole-wheat hot dog bun, toasted if desired
- 2 tablespoons diced avocado
- 1 tablespoon finely diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon alfalfa sprouts
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder, or to taste
- Place hot dog in bun; top with avocado, onion and sprouts and sprinkle with curry powder.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Not all hot dogs are created equal. Reaching for the right brand in the grocery store can have a huge impact on your intake of fat and sodium. For a healthier hot dog, choose one that’s no more than 150 calories, has 3 grams or less of saturated fat and 370 mg or less of sodium.
Per serving: 271 calories; 15 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 20 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 3 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 7 g fiber; 507 mg sodium; 385 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)