Calamari Stir-Fry with Red Peppers & Lemon
From EatingWell: September/October 1992
Once the ingredients are cleaned and chopped, this dish takes under 10 minutes to prepare.
- 1 pound cleaned calamari, (see Note)
- 1 small lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch squares, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, divided
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
- Slice squid bodies into 1/2-inch-thick rings; leave tentacles whole. Rinse carefully inside and out and pat dry. Set aside. Scrub lemon and cut crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Cut each slice into quarters and set aside.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over high heat. Add half of the peppers and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper; sauté until barely tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Add half of the squid and sauté until opaque, 30 to 45 seconds. Add half of the lemon pieces and sauté until the lemon is just heated through, 30 seconds longer. Transfer the squid mixture to a serving dish and keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan and heat over high heat. Cook the remaining peppers, crushed red pepper, squid and lemon in the same manner.
- Transfer to the serving dish. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Calamari, also known as squid, is sold frozen or fresh in the seafood department of the grocery store. Look for cleaned calamari, with its cartilage and ink removed; otherwise ask at the fish counter to have it cleaned.
Per serving: 153 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 264 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 2 g fiber; 125 mg sodium; 409 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (131% daily value), Selenium (73% dv), Vitamin A (28% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 1992