Calamari Stir-Fry with Red Peppers & Lemon
From EatingWell: September/October 1992
Once the ingredients are cleaned and chopped, this dish takes under 10 minutes to prepare.
- 1 pound cleaned calamari, (see Note)
- 1 small lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch squares, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, divided
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
- Slice squid bodies into 1/2-inch-thick rings; leave tentacles whole. Rinse carefully inside and out and pat dry. Set aside. Scrub lemon and cut crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Cut each slice into quarters and set aside.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over high heat. Add half of the peppers and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper; sauté until barely tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Add half of the squid and sauté until opaque, 30 to 45 seconds. Add half of the lemon pieces and sauté until the lemon is just heated through, 30 seconds longer. Transfer the squid mixture to a serving dish and keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan and heat over high heat. Cook the remaining peppers, crushed red pepper, squid and lemon in the same manner.
- Transfer to the serving dish. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Calamari, also known as squid, is sold frozen or fresh in the seafood department of the grocery store. Look for cleaned calamari, with its cartilage and ink removed; otherwise ask at the fish counter to have it cleaned.
Per serving: 153 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 264 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 2 g fiber; 125 mg sodium; 409 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (131% daily value), Selenium (73% dv), Vitamin A (28% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1992