Calamari Stir-Fry with Red Peppers & Lemon
From EatingWell: September/October 1992
Once the ingredients are cleaned and chopped, this dish takes under 10 minutes to prepare.
- 1 pound cleaned calamari, (see Note)
- 1 small lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch squares, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, divided
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
- Slice squid bodies into 1/2-inch-thick rings; leave tentacles whole. Rinse carefully inside and out and pat dry. Set aside. Scrub lemon and cut crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Cut each slice into quarters and set aside.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over high heat. Add half of the peppers and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper; sauté until barely tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Add half of the squid and sauté until opaque, 30 to 45 seconds. Add half of the lemon pieces and sauté until the lemon is just heated through, 30 seconds longer. Transfer the squid mixture to a serving dish and keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan and heat over high heat. Cook the remaining peppers, crushed red pepper, squid and lemon in the same manner.
- Transfer to the serving dish. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Calamari, also known as squid, is sold frozen or fresh in the seafood department of the grocery store. Look for cleaned calamari, with its cartilage and ink removed; otherwise ask at the fish counter to have it cleaned.
Per serving: 153 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 264 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 2 g fiber; 125 mg sodium; 409 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (131% daily value), Selenium (73% dv), Vitamin A (28% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- September/October 1992