Calamari Stir-Fry with Red Peppers & Lemon
From EatingWell: September/October 1992
Once the ingredients are cleaned and chopped, this dish takes under 10 minutes to prepare.
- 1 pound cleaned calamari, (see Note)
- 1 small lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch squares, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, divided
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
- Slice squid bodies into 1/2-inch-thick rings; leave tentacles whole. Rinse carefully inside and out and pat dry. Set aside. Scrub lemon and cut crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Cut each slice into quarters and set aside.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over high heat. Add half of the peppers and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper; sauté until barely tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Add half of the squid and sauté until opaque, 30 to 45 seconds. Add half of the lemon pieces and sauté until the lemon is just heated through, 30 seconds longer. Transfer the squid mixture to a serving dish and keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan and heat over high heat. Cook the remaining peppers, crushed red pepper, squid and lemon in the same manner.
- Transfer to the serving dish. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Calamari, also known as squid, is sold frozen or fresh in the seafood department of the grocery store. Look for cleaned calamari, with its cartilage and ink removed; otherwise ask at the fish counter to have it cleaned.
Per serving: 153 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 264 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 2 g fiber; 125 mg sodium; 409 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (131% daily value), Selenium (73% dv), Vitamin A (28% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 1992