Calamari Stir-Fry with Red Peppers & Lemon
From EatingWell: September/October 1992
Once the ingredients are cleaned and chopped, this dish takes under 10 minutes to prepare.
- 1 pound cleaned calamari, (see Note)
- 1 small lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch squares, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, divided
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
- Slice squid bodies into 1/2-inch-thick rings; leave tentacles whole. Rinse carefully inside and out and pat dry. Set aside. Scrub lemon and cut crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Cut each slice into quarters and set aside.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over high heat. Add half of the peppers and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper; sauté until barely tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Add half of the squid and sauté until opaque, 30 to 45 seconds. Add half of the lemon pieces and sauté until the lemon is just heated through, 30 seconds longer. Transfer the squid mixture to a serving dish and keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan and heat over high heat. Cook the remaining peppers, crushed red pepper, squid and lemon in the same manner.
- Transfer to the serving dish. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Calamari, also known as squid, is sold frozen or fresh in the seafood department of the grocery store. Look for cleaned calamari, with its cartilage and ink removed; otherwise ask at the fish counter to have it cleaned.
Per serving: 153 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 264 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 2 g fiber; 125 mg sodium; 409 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (131% daily value), Selenium (73% dv), Vitamin A (28% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1992