Grilled Calamari & Potato Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
This summery salad recipe matches grilled squid and potatoes with a pungent dressing inspired by salsa verde, an Italian sauce made with capers, anchovies, parsley, lemon and olive oil.
- 1 pound cleaned whole calamari (squid, see Tips)
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound fingerling or baby Yukon Gold potatoes, halved or quartered lengthwise, depending on size
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 6 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2/3 cup flat-leaf parsley, basil and/or mint leaves
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons water
- Zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 12 cups baby spinach
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Toss calamari with 1 tablespoon each oil and vinegar and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Toss potatoes with 1 tablespoon oil and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Thread garlic on a grilling skewer.
- Take the calamari, potatoes, garlic skewer and tomatoes out to the grill. Oil the grill rack (see Tips). Grill the garlic and potatoes, turning occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes for the garlic, 10 to 12 minutes for the potatoes. Place the tomato halves on the grill skin-side down; grill until lightly charred, 5 to 7 minutes. Turn and grill for 1 minute more. Remove the calamari from the marinade and place on the hottest part of the grill; grill, turning once or twice, until just cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes total.
- When the garlic is cool enough to handle, peel and put in a blender. Add parsley (or basil or mint), anchovies, capers, water, the lemon zest and juice, the remaining 4 tablespoons oil, 2 tablespoons vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Puree until smooth.
- Place spinach in a large bowl and toss with about 1/2 cup of the dressing; divide among 4 plates. Top with the potatoes and tomato halves. Slice the calamari bodies into rings, but leave the tentacles whole; place on the spinach. Drizzle with the remaining dressing.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 1 bamboo or metal skewer
- Tips: Also known as squid, calamari is sold frozen or fresh in the seafood department of the grocery store. Look for cleaned calamari, with its cartilage and ink removed; otherwise ask at the fish counter to have it cleaned.
- Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to coat the food with cooking spray.
- DIY grill basket: Itâ€™s best to use a grill basket when grilling small ingredients so they donâ€™t fall into the fire. If you donâ€™t have one, fold a 24-inch-long piece of heavy-duty foil in half and crimp up the edges to create a lip; this â€œbasketâ€ will prevent the food from sliding off the grates.
Per serving: 429 calories; 24 g fat (4 g sat, 16 g mono); 266 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 6 g fiber; 561 mg sodium; 1605 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (203% daily value), Vitamin C (127% dv), Folate (59% dv), Potassium (46% dv), Magnesium (38% dv), Iron (28% dv), Zinc (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 4 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2012