Grilled Calamari & Potato Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
This summery salad recipe matches grilled squid and potatoes with a pungent dressing inspired by salsa verde, an Italian sauce made with capers, anchovies, parsley, lemon and olive oil.
- 1 pound cleaned whole calamari (squid, see Tips)
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound fingerling or baby Yukon Gold potatoes, halved or quartered lengthwise, depending on size
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 6 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 2/3 cup flat-leaf parsley, basil and/or mint leaves
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons water
- Zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 12 cups baby spinach
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Toss calamari with 1 tablespoon each oil and vinegar and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Toss potatoes with 1 tablespoon oil and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Thread garlic on a grilling skewer.
- Take the calamari, potatoes, garlic skewer and tomatoes out to the grill. Oil the grill rack (see Tips). Grill the garlic and potatoes, turning occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes for the garlic, 10 to 12 minutes for the potatoes. Place the tomato halves on the grill skin-side down; grill until lightly charred, 5 to 7 minutes. Turn and grill for 1 minute more. Remove the calamari from the marinade and place on the hottest part of the grill; grill, turning once or twice, until just cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes total.
- When the garlic is cool enough to handle, peel and put in a blender. Add parsley (or basil or mint), anchovies, capers, water, the lemon zest and juice, the remaining 4 tablespoons oil, 2 tablespoons vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Puree until smooth.
- Place spinach in a large bowl and toss with about 1/2 cup of the dressing; divide among 4 plates. Top with the potatoes and tomato halves. Slice the calamari bodies into rings, but leave the tentacles whole; place on the spinach. Drizzle with the remaining dressing.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 1 bamboo or metal skewer
- Tips: Also known as squid, calamari is sold frozen or fresh in the seafood department of the grocery store. Look for cleaned calamari, with its cartilage and ink removed; otherwise ask at the fish counter to have it cleaned.
- Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to coat the food with cooking spray.
- DIY grill basket: Itâ€™s best to use a grill basket when grilling small ingredients so they donâ€™t fall into the fire. If you donâ€™t have one, fold a 24-inch-long piece of heavy-duty foil in half and crimp up the edges to create a lip; this â€œbasketâ€ will prevent the food from sliding off the grates.
Per serving: 429 calories; 24 g fat (4 g sat, 16 g mono); 266 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 6 g fiber; 561 mg sodium; 1605 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (203% daily value), Vitamin C (127% dv), Folate (59% dv), Potassium (46% dv), Magnesium (38% dv), Iron (28% dv), Zinc (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 4 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2012