I was looking for a recipe to use yellow squash and zucchini from this week's CSA and a friend shared this link. I didn't have a pepper so I used garlic--which is actually what my friend uses all the time instead of the pepper--and added some spices. I also threw in a handful of Trader's Joe's roasted corn per a suggestion elsewhere in these comments. My husband came home in a bit of a mood with a headache and by the time he finished this he was smiling!
Enjoy this traditional Southwestern dish of sautéed summer squash, onions and peppers as a side or as a vegetarian filling for tacos.
7 Reviews for Calabacitas
My family and I loved this recipe! I took heed of the other reviews concerning blandness, so I added a garlic clove and threw some corn in at the end. Yum oh on this veggie side dish!
Added a little soy-rizo and some smoked chipotle powder, with a little black beans. Spiced it up!!
This was a quick, easy dish to serve with a SW entree, a welcome change from the usual beans or rice. I served it with a flavorful chorizo-shrimp-rice stuffed pepper and a black bean salad with a tangy lime vinaigrette, so having a lightly seasoned side dish as well complimented the meal. I thought salt, black pepper, and cilantro were all that it really needed -- nice and fresh.
This dish was just ok for me. It did make a nice side to compliment more flavorful foods though, as the flavor didn't over-power anything, but it was a little bland.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)