Cajun Crab Croquettes
From EatingWell: December 2006
Crab cakes get a Louisiana spin with Cajun spice and corn. Although any type of crab works here, we prefer the texture of lump crabmeat. Serve with Zesty Rémoulade Sauce. Make it a meal: Serve on arugula salad.
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, divided
- 1 pound pasteurized crabmeat, drained if necessary
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup plain dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 425nF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, corn and 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Let cool for 5 minutes. Add crab, egg white, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, mayonnaise and lemon zest. Mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions (about 1/2 cup each). Form each portion into an oblong patty that's about 4 inches by 2 inches. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Combine the remaining 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning and 2 teaspoons oil in a small bowl. Sprinkle 1 heaping teaspoon of the breadcrumb mixture over the top of each croquette, then gently press it on.
- Bake the croquettes until heated through and golden brown on top, about 20 minutes.
Per serving: 260 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 132 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 2 g fiber; 942 mg sodium; 148 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (35% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 3 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- December 2006