Cajun Crab Croquettes
From EatingWell: December 2006
Crab cakes get a Louisiana spin with Cajun spice and corn. Although any type of crab works here, we prefer the texture of lump crabmeat. Serve with Zesty Rémoulade Sauce. Make it a meal: Serve on arugula salad.
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, divided
- 1 pound pasteurized crabmeat, drained if necessary
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup plain dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 425nF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, corn and 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Let cool for 5 minutes. Add crab, egg white, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, mayonnaise and lemon zest. Mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions (about 1/2 cup each). Form each portion into an oblong patty that's about 4 inches by 2 inches. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Combine the remaining 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning and 2 teaspoons oil in a small bowl. Sprinkle 1 heaping teaspoon of the breadcrumb mixture over the top of each croquette, then gently press it on.
- Bake the croquettes until heated through and golden brown on top, about 20 minutes.
Per serving: 260 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 132 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 2 g fiber; 942 mg sodium; 148 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (35% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 3 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- December 2006