Cajun Corn Sauté
A taste of summer, Louisiana-style. Serve this zesty sauté with grilled chicken or fish. When fresh corn is not in season, substitute frozen.
- 3 medium ears corn, husked
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large ripe tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup okra, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cut corn from cobs (see Tip). You should have about 2 cups.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring, until the vegetables soften and begin to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add tomato, okra, Cajun seasoning and the corn; cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
- Add broth. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the corn is tender, about 10 minutes more. Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- To Remove Corn from the Cob: Stand an uncooked ear of corn on its stem end in a shallow bowl and slice the kernels off with a sharp, thin-bladed knife. This technique produces whole kernels that are good for adding to salads and salsas. If you want to use the corn kernels for soups, fritters or puddings, you can add another step to the process. After cutting the kernels off, reverse the knife and, using the dull side, press it down the length of the ear to push out the rest of the corn and its milk.
Per serving: 80 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 122 mg sodium; 322 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Make ahead instructions
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable