Cajun Corn Sauté
A taste of summer, Louisiana-style. Serve this zesty sauté with grilled chicken or fish. When fresh corn is not in season, substitute frozen.
- 3 medium ears corn, husked
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large ripe tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup okra, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cut corn from cobs (see Tip). You should have about 2 cups.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring, until the vegetables soften and begin to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add tomato, okra, Cajun seasoning and the corn; cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
- Add broth. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the corn is tender, about 10 minutes more. Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- To Remove Corn from the Cob: Stand an uncooked ear of corn on its stem end in a shallow bowl and slice the kernels off with a sharp, thin-bladed knife. This technique produces whole kernels that are good for adding to salads and salsas. If you want to use the corn kernels for soups, fritters or puddings, you can add another step to the process. After cutting the kernels off, reverse the knife and, using the dull side, press it down the length of the ear to push out the rest of the corn and its milk.
Per serving: 80 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 122 mg sodium; 322 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
If you’re watching what you eat, you may be trying to eat...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Make ahead instructions
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable