Cajun Corn Sauté
A taste of summer, Louisiana-style. Serve this zesty sauté with grilled chicken or fish. When fresh corn is not in season, substitute frozen.
- 3 medium ears corn, husked
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large ripe tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup okra, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cut corn from cobs (see Tip). You should have about 2 cups.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring, until the vegetables soften and begin to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add tomato, okra, Cajun seasoning and the corn; cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
- Add broth. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the corn is tender, about 10 minutes more. Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- To Remove Corn from the Cob: Stand an uncooked ear of corn on its stem end in a shallow bowl and slice the kernels off with a sharp, thin-bladed knife. This technique produces whole kernels that are good for adding to salads and salsas. If you want to use the corn kernels for soups, fritters or puddings, you can add another step to the process. After cutting the kernels off, reverse the knife and, using the dull side, press it down the length of the ear to push out the rest of the corn and its milk.
Per serving: 80 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 122 mg sodium; 322 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Make ahead instructions
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable