I made the recipe to serve with chicken, and it was good, but then the next day I took the leftovers, pureed them, added about a cup of chicken broth, a pinch or two of cumin, coriander and turmeric, plus a little more salt and pepper, and voila, a VERY YUMMY soup. I've made butternut squash soup before and it wasn't this good. I think the parsnips make the difference!
Butternut Squash, Carrot & Parsnip Ragoût
From EatingWell: September/October 1994
Butternut squash, carrots and parsnips take on a sweet intensity when gently braised in broth. Serve with roast chicken, grilled salmon fillets or pan-seared pork tenderloin.
4 Reviews for Butternut Squash, Carrot & Parsnip Ragoût
I thought this turned out pretty well. I think half of the leeks would be enough. It kind of drowns the other vegetables to me. Don't leave out the nutmeg!! It made all the difference. I also added a can of chickpeas to make it a vegetarian entree.
I HAD to get rid of some butternut squash so we made this last night. We used veg broth instead of chicken & I used more squash than it called for & less parsnip & less leek. I don't think it would matter, but the dish was so good, I think more of everything would be great too! It was a LOT of chopping though to prep the dish.
I never expected to like a dish like this, but decided to give it a try after impulsively buying a parsnip at my local grocer. Much to my surprise, it's full of flavor and is very filling! As I had only one parsnip, I used a raddish to make up for the loss in volume, which was great as well. I highly recommend it!
tortuga425, Redlands, CA
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)