Butternut Squash, Carrot & Parsnip Ragoût
From EatingWell: September/October 1994
Butternut squash, carrots and parsnips take on a sweet intensity when gently braised in broth. Serve with roast chicken, grilled salmon fillets or pan-seared pork tenderloin.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash, (about 1 pound)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 cups diced parsnips
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 large leeks, trimmed (all but 2 inches of green removed), cleaned and chopped
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in a shallow roasting pan on the stovetop over medium heat. Add squash, season with salt and pepper and toss gently. Add 1/2 cup broth and transfer the pan to the oven. Bake until squash is just tender, about 15 minutes; do not overcook.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add carrots, parsnips, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste; cook until the vegetables are lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup broth, cover the pan and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a dish and set aside.
- Add leeks and the remaining 1/4 cup broth to the pan, season with salt and pepper, cover the pan and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the reserved squash, carrots and parsnips and toss gently. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding a grating of nutmeg. Simmer for an additional 3 to 4 minutes to warm through before serving.
Per serving: 155 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 6 g fiber; 122 mg sodium; 779 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (410% daily value), Vitamin C (65% dv), Folate & Potassium (22% dv), Magnesium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Entertaining, casual
- September/October 1994