Butternut Squash, Carrot & Parsnip Ragoût
From EatingWell: September/October 1994
Butternut squash, carrots and parsnips take on a sweet intensity when gently braised in broth. Serve with roast chicken, grilled salmon fillets or pan-seared pork tenderloin.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash, (about 1 pound)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 cups diced parsnips
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 large leeks, trimmed (all but 2 inches of green removed), cleaned and chopped
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in a shallow roasting pan on the stovetop over medium heat. Add squash, season with salt and pepper and toss gently. Add 1/2 cup broth and transfer the pan to the oven. Bake until squash is just tender, about 15 minutes; do not overcook.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add carrots, parsnips, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste; cook until the vegetables are lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup broth, cover the pan and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a dish and set aside.
- Add leeks and the remaining 1/4 cup broth to the pan, season with salt and pepper, cover the pan and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the reserved squash, carrots and parsnips and toss gently. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding a grating of nutmeg. Simmer for an additional 3 to 4 minutes to warm through before serving.
Per serving: 155 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 6 g fiber; 122 mg sodium; 779 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (410% daily value), Vitamin C (65% dv), Folate & Potassium (22% dv), Magnesium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 1994