Butternut Squash, Carrot & Parsnip Ragoût
From EatingWell: September/October 1994
Butternut squash, carrots and parsnips take on a sweet intensity when gently braised in broth. Serve with roast chicken, grilled salmon fillets or pan-seared pork tenderloin.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash, (about 1 pound)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 cups diced parsnips
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 large leeks, trimmed (all but 2 inches of green removed), cleaned and chopped
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in a shallow roasting pan on the stovetop over medium heat. Add squash, season with salt and pepper and toss gently. Add 1/2 cup broth and transfer the pan to the oven. Bake until squash is just tender, about 15 minutes; do not overcook.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add carrots, parsnips, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste; cook until the vegetables are lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup broth, cover the pan and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a dish and set aside.
- Add leeks and the remaining 1/4 cup broth to the pan, season with salt and pepper, cover the pan and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the reserved squash, carrots and parsnips and toss gently. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding a grating of nutmeg. Simmer for an additional 3 to 4 minutes to warm through before serving.
Per serving: 155 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 6 g fiber; 122 mg sodium; 779 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (410% daily value), Vitamin C (65% dv), Folate & Potassium (22% dv), Magnesium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 1994