Butternut Squash, Carrot & Parsnip Ragoût
From EatingWell: September/October 1994
Butternut squash, carrots and parsnips take on a sweet intensity when gently braised in broth. Serve with roast chicken, grilled salmon fillets or pan-seared pork tenderloin.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash, (about 1 pound)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 cups diced parsnips
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 large leeks, trimmed (all but 2 inches of green removed), cleaned and chopped
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in a shallow roasting pan on the stovetop over medium heat. Add squash, season with salt and pepper and toss gently. Add 1/2 cup broth and transfer the pan to the oven. Bake until squash is just tender, about 15 minutes; do not overcook.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add carrots, parsnips, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste; cook until the vegetables are lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup broth, cover the pan and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a dish and set aside.
- Add leeks and the remaining 1/4 cup broth to the pan, season with salt and pepper, cover the pan and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the reserved squash, carrots and parsnips and toss gently. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding a grating of nutmeg. Simmer for an additional 3 to 4 minutes to warm through before serving.
Per serving: 155 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 31 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 6 g fiber; 122 mg sodium; 779 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (410% daily value), Vitamin C (65% dv), Folate & Potassium (22% dv), Magnesium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Entertaining, casual
- September/October 1994