Butternut & Barley Pilaf
From EatingWell: December 2005/January 2006
Winter squash contributes a rich, full flavor to a simple barley pilaf. Gremolata, an Italian mixture of parsley, lemon zest and garlic, gives the dish a lively finish. The pilaf is an excellent accompaniment to chicken and pork, but would stand on its own with the addition of Parmesan.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash, (3/4-inch cubes) (see Tip)
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, water, barley and squash; bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the barley and squash are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 45 minutes. Add parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper; mix gently.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To save time, use conveniently peeled and cubed butternut squash, available in many supermarkets in the fall and winter.
Per serving: 194 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 8 g fiber; 149 mg sodium; 457 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (180% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv), Fiber (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch,1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2005/January 2006