Buttermilk Oatcakes with Raspberry Compote
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
These high-fiber oatcakes are made with 100% whole grains and no butter. A quick raspberry compote is a nice change from maple syrup.
- 2 cups well-shaken buttermilk or plain kefir
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups raspberries, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- To prepare oatcakes: Whisk buttermilk (or kefir) and egg in a medium bowl. Combine oats, flour, sugar, baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and salt in another medium bowl. Stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture and let stand for 15 minutes. The mixture will bubble slightly as it sits.
- To prepare compote: Meanwhile, place raspberries, maple syrup and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a small heavy saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the berries are mostly broken down, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Coat a griddle or large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Using 1/4 cup of batter for each, cook 3 oatcakes at a time until bubbles dot the surface, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until browned, 1 to 2 minutes more, reducing heat if necessary to prevent overbrowning.
- Serve the oatcakes with the compote.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the compote for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 303 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 51 mg cholesterol; 55 g carbohydrates; 9 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 9 g fiber; 609 mg sodium; 482 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (33% daily value), Vitamin C (29% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Zinc (16% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2012