Buttermilk Oatcakes with Raspberry Compote
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
These high-fiber oatcakes are made with 100% whole grains and no butter. A quick raspberry compote is a nice change from maple syrup.
- 2 cups well-shaken buttermilk or plain kefir
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups raspberries, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- To prepare oatcakes: Whisk buttermilk (or kefir) and egg in a medium bowl. Combine oats, flour, sugar, baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and salt in another medium bowl. Stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture and let stand for 15 minutes. The mixture will bubble slightly as it sits.
- To prepare compote: Meanwhile, place raspberries, maple syrup and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a small heavy saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the berries are mostly broken down, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Coat a griddle or large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Using 1/4 cup of batter for each, cook 3 oatcakes at a time until bubbles dot the surface, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until browned, 1 to 2 minutes more, reducing heat if necessary to prevent overbrowning.
- Serve the oatcakes with the compote.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the compote for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 303 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 51 mg cholesterol; 55 g carbohydrates; 9 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 9 g fiber; 609 mg sodium; 482 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (33% daily value), Vitamin C (29% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Zinc (16% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- March/April 2012