Buttermilk Oatcakes with Raspberry Compote
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
These high-fiber oatcakes are made with 100% whole grains and no butter. A quick raspberry compote is a nice change from maple syrup.
- 2 cups well-shaken buttermilk or plain kefir
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups raspberries, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- To prepare oatcakes: Whisk buttermilk (or kefir) and egg in a medium bowl. Combine oats, flour, sugar, baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and salt in another medium bowl. Stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture and let stand for 15 minutes. The mixture will bubble slightly as it sits.
- To prepare compote: Meanwhile, place raspberries, maple syrup and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a small heavy saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the berries are mostly broken down, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Coat a griddle or large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Using 1/4 cup of batter for each, cook 3 oatcakes at a time until bubbles dot the surface, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until browned, 1 to 2 minutes more, reducing heat if necessary to prevent overbrowning.
- Serve the oatcakes with the compote.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the compote for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 303 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 51 mg cholesterol; 55 g carbohydrates; 9 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 9 g fiber; 609 mg sodium; 482 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (33% daily value), Vitamin C (29% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Zinc (16% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- March/April 2012