Buttermilk Oatcakes with Raspberry Compote
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
These high-fiber oatcakes are made with 100% whole grains and no butter. A quick raspberry compote is a nice change from maple syrup.
- 2 cups well-shaken buttermilk or plain kefir
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups raspberries, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- To prepare oatcakes: Whisk buttermilk (or kefir) and egg in a medium bowl. Combine oats, flour, sugar, baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and salt in another medium bowl. Stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture and let stand for 15 minutes. The mixture will bubble slightly as it sits.
- To prepare compote: Meanwhile, place raspberries, maple syrup and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a small heavy saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the berries are mostly broken down, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Coat a griddle or large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Using 1/4 cup of batter for each, cook 3 oatcakes at a time until bubbles dot the surface, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until browned, 1 to 2 minutes more, reducing heat if necessary to prevent overbrowning.
- Serve the oatcakes with the compote.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the compote for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 303 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 51 mg cholesterol; 55 g carbohydrates; 9 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 9 g fiber; 609 mg sodium; 482 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (33% daily value), Vitamin C (29% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Zinc (16% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- March/April 2012