Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
Garlic cloves, cooked along with the potatoes, give this puree extra body and lots of flavor.
- 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold (about 6 medium potatoes), peeled and cut into chunks
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- Salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Freshly ground white or black pepper, to taste
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large heavy saucepan. Add water to cover and season with salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook until potatoes are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat and cook, swirling, until it turns a nutty brown, about 1 minute. Stir in buttermilk and heat until just warm. (Do not overheat or it will curdle.)
- When potatoes are done, drain in a colander and return to the pan. Place pan over low heat and shake for about 1 minute to dry potatoes.
- Mash the potatoes and garlic with a potato masher, an electric hand-held mixer or by working through a ricer. Add enough of the buttermilk mixture to make a smooth puree. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Though the exact health benefits of garlic are controversial, there's no doubt that it contains potent disease-fighting phytochemicals.
Per serving: 144 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 92 mg sodium; 707 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (48% daily value), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation