Buttermilk Custard Pie
A Southern favorite, buttermilk custard pie is smooth, tangy and delicious.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-2 tablespoons ice water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Freshly grated nutmeg, for sprinkling on top
- 1 cup fresh berries, such as blackberries, raspberries or sliced strawberries (optional)
- To make crust: Stir together 1 cup flour, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter turns a nutty brown, about 30 seconds. Pour into a small bowl and let cool. Stir in oil. Slowly stir the butter-oil mixture into the flour with a fork until the mixture is crumbly. Gradually stir in enough ice water so that the dough will hold together. Press the dough into a flattened disk.
- Place two overlapping lengths of plastic wrap on the work surface. Set the dough in the center and cover with two more sheets of plastic wrap. With a rolling pin, roll the dough into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Remove the top sheets and invert the dough into a 9-inch pie pan. Remove the remaining wrap. Fold the edges under at the rim and crimp. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line the pastry shell with a piece of foil or parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 15 minutes, remove weights and foil or paper and bake until the crust is golden, 8 to 10 minutes longer. Reduce oven temperature to 350°. Cool the pie crust on a wire rack while you make the filling.
- To make filling: Whisk together 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup flour, cornstarch and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk together eggs and egg white in another bowl until frothy. Whisk in buttermilk, lemon juice and vanilla. Gradually whisk the liquids into the dry ingredients. Pour into the crust and sprinkle the top with grated nutmeg.
- Cover the edges of the crust with foil and bake until the pie is no longer wobbly in the center, 30 to 40 minutes (do not use a knife to check for doneness or a crack will result). Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes, and then in the refrigerator until completely cool, about 2 hours. Just before serving, arrange fresh berries around the edge of the pie, if desired.
Per serving: 263 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 287 mg sodium; 164 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (19% daily value), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, pies & tarts
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)