Buttermilk-Brined Chicken Breast Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
This healthy buttermilk chicken salad recipe serves up delicious buttermilk fried chicken, without the frying and on a bed of greens. Using salt in the brine to draw moisture into the chicken, buttermilk to tenderize and a heap of herbs for fresh flavor, this healthy chicken salad is perfect for an easy dinner or for a potluck.
- 2 cups buttermilk (see Tips)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Chicken & Salad
- 2 (8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano and/or thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of sugar
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 10 cups mixed salad greens
- To prepare buttermilk brine: Combine buttermilk, sugar, shallots, 4 cloves garlic, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme, rosemary, Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a bowl. Stir until the sugar and salt dissolve.
- To marinate chicken: Place chicken in a sealable gallon-size plastic bag. Pour in the brine mixture, seal and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 12 hours.
- To prepare chicken: Remove the chicken from the brine (discard the brine) and pat dry with paper towels. Rub 1 tablespoon oil all over the chicken and let stand at room temperature for at least 10 minutes and up to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat a grill to 400°F or build a fire in a charcoal grill and let it burn down to medium heat (about 400°F).
- Oil the grill rack (see Tips). Grill the chicken with the lid closed, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest portion of the chicken registers 165°F, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Remove to a clean cutting board and let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- To prepare salad: Whisk the remaining 4 tablespoons oil, vinegar, 1 teaspoon oregano (and/or thyme), 1 teaspoon garlic, Dijon, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add greens and toss with the vinaigrette. Divide salad among 4 plates and top each with sliced chicken.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Brine the chicken (Step 2) for up to 12 hours.
- Buttermilk is a thick, tangy cow’s-milk dairy product great for baking, salad dressings and marinades. Low-fat and nonfat versions can be used interchangeably in most recipes. Look for it in quart containers in the dairy section of the supermarket. In a pinch, you can make a substitute, mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar into 1 cup low-fat or nonfat milk.
- Once the grill is heated, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the hot rack right before placing the chicken on the grill.
Per serving: 322 calories; 21 g fat (3 g sat, 14 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 4 g total sugars; 26 g protein; 3 g fiber; 631 mg sodium; 680 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (76% daily value), Folate (41% dv), Vitamin C (38% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- July/August 2014