From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Nothing like a basket of hot, flaky biscuits to accompany a home-cooked dinner. You can also use these biscuits to top a chicken potpie or for strawberry shortcake.
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon milk, for brushing
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine buttermilk and oil. Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Using your fingertips or 2 knives, cut butter into the dry ingredients until crumbly. Make a well in the center and gradually pour in the buttermilk mixture, stirring with a fork until just combined.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and sprinkle with a little flour. Lightly knead the dough 8 times, then pat or roll out to an even 3/4-inch thickness. Cut into 2-inch rounds and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Gather any scraps of dough and cut more rounds. Brush the tops with milk.
- Bake the biscuits for 12 to 16 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool slightly before serving.
Per biscuit: 104 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 216 mg sodium; 35 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)