Burgers with Caramelized Onions
Ah, the magic of seared beef! Sauteing the onions with sugar turns them into a meltingly sweet topping to dress up these hearty beef-and-bulgur patties.
- 3 tablespoons bulgur
- 1/4 cup boiling water, plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 8 ounces 92%-lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste, (see Tips for Two)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 whole-wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Lettuce, for garnish
- Combine bulgur and 1/4 cup boiling water in a small bowl; let stand until most of the water is absorbed, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and sugar; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are very tender and golden, about 15 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons water, vinegar and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Keep warm over very low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the grill or broiler to high. Combine the bulgur, beef, tomato paste, parsley, the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper in a medium bowl; knead thoroughly to combine. Shape into two 3/4-inch-thick patties. Grill or broil on a lightly oiled rack until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Place the patties on buns, top with the caramelized onions and garnish with lettuce.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Transfer leftover tomato paste to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months. Add to soups, chilis and sauces; stir into rice with oregano and cilantro to serve alongside Mexican dishes.
Per serving: 403 calories; 15 g fat (5 g sat, 8 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 7 g fiber; 644 mg sodium; 714 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (47% daily value), Iron (25% dv), Magnesium (23% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Vitamin A & Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient