Burgers with Caramelized Onions
Ah, the magic of seared beef! Sauteing the onions with sugar turns them into a meltingly sweet topping to dress up these hearty beef-and-bulgur patties.
- 3 tablespoons bulgur
- 1/4 cup boiling water, plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 8 ounces 92%-lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste, (see Tips for Two)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 whole-wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Lettuce, for garnish
- Combine bulgur and 1/4 cup boiling water in a small bowl; let stand until most of the water is absorbed, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and sugar; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are very tender and golden, about 15 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons water, vinegar and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Keep warm over very low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the grill or broiler to high. Combine the bulgur, beef, tomato paste, parsley, the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper in a medium bowl; knead thoroughly to combine. Shape into two 3/4-inch-thick patties. Grill or broil on a lightly oiled rack until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Place the patties on buns, top with the caramelized onions and garnish with lettuce.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Transfer leftover tomato paste to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months. Add to soups, chilis and sauces; stir into rice with oregano and cilantro to serve alongside Mexican dishes.
Per serving: 403 calories; 15 g fat (5 g sat, 8 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 7 g fiber; 644 mg sodium; 714 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (47% daily value), Iron (25% dv), Magnesium (23% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Vitamin A & Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient