Burgers with Caramelized Onions
Ah, the magic of seared beef! Sauteing the onions with sugar turns them into a meltingly sweet topping to dress up these hearty beef-and-bulgur patties.
- 3 tablespoons bulgur
- 1/4 cup boiling water, plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 8 ounces 92%-lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste, (see Tips for Two)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 whole-wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Lettuce, for garnish
- Combine bulgur and 1/4 cup boiling water in a small bowl; let stand until most of the water is absorbed, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and sugar; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are very tender and golden, about 15 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons water, vinegar and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Keep warm over very low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the grill or broiler to high. Combine the bulgur, beef, tomato paste, parsley, the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper in a medium bowl; knead thoroughly to combine. Shape into two 3/4-inch-thick patties. Grill or broil on a lightly oiled rack until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Place the patties on buns, top with the caramelized onions and garnish with lettuce.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Transfer leftover tomato paste to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months. Add to soups, chilis and sauces; stir into rice with oregano and cilantro to serve alongside Mexican dishes.
Per serving: 403 calories; 15 g fat (5 g sat, 8 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 7 g fiber; 644 mg sodium; 714 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (47% daily value), Iron (25% dv), Magnesium (23% dv), Potassium (20% dv), Vitamin A & Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient