Bulgur with Ginger & Orange
From EatingWell: December 2005/January 2006
Bulgur is ubiquitous in Middle Eastern cooking but also pairs deliciously with Asian seasonings. This simple side dish is perfect with beef, lamb or poultry. For variations, substitute toasted sesame seeds for the almonds, or carrot juice (it is surprisingly good and certainly nutritious) for orange juice.
- 2 oranges
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup bulgur, rinsed (see Ingredient note)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 2/3 cup chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Zest 1 orange; reserve the zest. Juice both oranges. If necessary, add enough water to the juice to measure 1 1/2 cups total.
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add bulgur and stir to coat. Add the orange juice, brown sugar and salt; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover and cook until the bulgur is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast almonds in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until light golden and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add scallions, soy sauce and the reserved orange zest to the bulgur; mix gently and fluff with a fork. Serve sprinkled with the almonds.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Fiber-rich bulgur—whole-wheat kernels that are precooked, dried and cracked—is sold in natural-foods stores and large markets.
Per serving: 234 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 8 g fiber; 295 mg sodium; 376 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Fiber (34% dv), Magnesium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2005/January 2006