Bulgur Salad with Asian Accents
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
Asian flavors like soy, ginger and sesame are a nice complement to nutty bulgur in this quick grain salad. Peppery radish sprouts are a tasty garnish.
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups bulgur, (see Note)
- 2 cups lightly packed radish sprouts, (3 ounces)
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 1/4 cup rice-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chile-garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 cup toasted cashews, (see Tip)
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan; stir in bulgur, remove from the heat, cover and set aside until the water has been absorbed, about 30 minutes. Spread the bulgur out on a baking sheet to cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
- Combine the cooled bulgur, sprouts and scallions in a serving bowl.
- Whisk together vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, chile-garlic sauce and honey in a small bowl. Pour over the salad and toss well. Garnish with cashews and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The salad can be made without the sprouts up to 2 hours ahead and kept, covered, in the refrigerator; add sprouts just before serving.
- Note: Bulgur is made by parboiling, drying and coarsely grinding or cracking wheat berries. Don't confuse bulgur with cracked wheat, which is simply that—cracked wheat. Since the parboiling step is skipped, cracked wheat must be cooked for up to an hour whereas bulgur simply needs a quick soak in hot water for most uses. Look for it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets, near other grains, or online at kalustyans.com, lebaneseproducts.com.
- Tip: To toast cashews: Spread nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Per serving: 268 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 10 g fiber; 420 mg sodium; 346 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (28% daily value), Vitamin C (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 1995