Moroccan Bulgur & Pork Casserole
From EatingWell: EatingWell One-Pot Meals
Fragrant with North African spices and made hearty with chunks of lean pork, this bulgur pilaf casserole recipe is ready to go in the oven in just 25 minutes. Vary the dish by substituting shrimp, Pacific cod fillets or chunks of boneless, skinless chicken thighs for the pork.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1 pound boneless pork loin chops or pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup water
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup bulgur (see Tip)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers, rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch (or similar-size 3-quart) baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine salt, cumin, coriander, ginger, chili powder, pepper, turmeric, cinnamon and cloves in a medium bowl. Transfer 1 teaspoon of the mixture to another medium bowl, add pork and toss. Set aside.
- Add water, lemon zest and juice to the remaining spice mixture; whisk to combine. Stir in bulgur, chickpeas, onion, raisins and red peppers. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and spread evenly. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, carefully uncover and nestle the spiced pork into the bulgur mixture. Cover with foil again and continue to bake until most of the liquid is absorbed and the pork is just cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes more. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes before serving. Serve sprinkled with mint, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Bulgur is made by parboiling, drying and coarsely grinding or cracking wheat berries. Don’t confuse bulgur with cracked wheat, which is simply that—cracked wheat. Since the parboiling step is skipped, cracked wheat must be cooked for up to an hour whereas bulgur simply needs a quick soak in hot water for most uses. Look for it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets, near other grains.
Per serving: 431 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 61 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 10 g fiber; 963 mg sodium; 733 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Magnesium (25% dv), Zinc (22% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Iron (18% dv), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- New Year's Eve
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- EatingWell One-Pot Meals
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)