Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
This healthy Buffalo chicken sandwich recipe takes the traditional accompaniments to Buffalo chicken wings—carrots, celery and blue cheese dip—and turns them into a crunchy slaw to top the sandwich
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup coarse dry breadcrumbs (panko), preferably whole-wheat
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/4 pounds), trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper plus 1/8 teaspoon, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce, such as Frank’s RedHot
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 small whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- Place flour, egg and breadcrumbs in three separate dishes. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Coat both sides of the chicken with flour, shaking off any excess, then dip in egg. Finally, coat both sides with the breadcrumbs, pressing to help the crumbs stick.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove from heat, cover and let stand until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 2 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a clean bowl and toss with hot sauce.
- Combine celery, carrot, blue cheese, sour cream and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Top each bun with chicken and 1/3 cup of the slaw.
Per serving: 468 calories; 22 g fat (6 g sat, 10 g mono); 131 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 6 g fiber; 700 mg sodium; 467 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (87% daily value), Zinc (24% dv), Iron (19% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv), Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 medium fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Health & Diet Considerations
- High fiber
- November/December 2013