Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
This healthy Buffalo chicken sandwich recipe takes the traditional accompaniments to Buffalo chicken wings—carrots, celery and blue cheese dip—and turns them into a crunchy slaw to top the sandwich
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup coarse dry breadcrumbs (panko), preferably whole-wheat
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/4 pounds), trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper plus 1/8 teaspoon, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce, such as Frank’s RedHot
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 small whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- Place flour, egg and breadcrumbs in three separate dishes. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Coat both sides of the chicken with flour, shaking off any excess, then dip in egg. Finally, coat both sides with the breadcrumbs, pressing to help the crumbs stick.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove from heat, cover and let stand until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 2 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a clean bowl and toss with hot sauce.
- Combine celery, carrot, blue cheese, sour cream and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Top each bun with chicken and 1/3 cup of the slaw.
Per serving: 468 calories; 22 g fat (6 g sat, 10 g mono); 131 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 6 g fiber; 700 mg sodium; 467 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (87% daily value), Zinc (24% dv), Iron (19% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv), Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 medium fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Health & Diet Considerations
- High fiber
- November/December 2013