Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
This healthy Buffalo chicken sandwich recipe takes the traditional accompaniments to Buffalo chicken wings—carrots, celery and blue cheese dip—and turns them into a crunchy slaw to top the sandwich
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup coarse dry breadcrumbs (panko), preferably whole-wheat
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/4 pounds), trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper plus 1/8 teaspoon, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce, such as Frank’s RedHot
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 small whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- Place flour, egg and breadcrumbs in three separate dishes. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Coat both sides of the chicken with flour, shaking off any excess, then dip in egg. Finally, coat both sides with the breadcrumbs, pressing to help the crumbs stick.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove from heat, cover and let stand until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 2 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a clean bowl and toss with hot sauce.
- Combine celery, carrot, blue cheese, sour cream and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Top each bun with chicken and 1/3 cup of the slaw.
Per serving: 468 calories; 22 g fat (6 g sat, 10 g mono); 131 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 6 g fiber; 700 mg sodium; 467 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (87% daily value), Zinc (24% dv), Iron (19% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv), Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 medium fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Health & Diet Considerations
- High fiber
- November/December 2013