Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
This healthy Buffalo chicken sandwich recipe takes the traditional accompaniments to Buffalo chicken wings—carrots, celery and blue cheese dip—and turns them into a crunchy slaw to top the sandwich
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup coarse dry breadcrumbs (panko), preferably whole-wheat
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/4 pounds), trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper plus 1/8 teaspoon, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce, such as Frank’s RedHot
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced celery
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 small whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- Place flour, egg and breadcrumbs in three separate dishes. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Coat both sides of the chicken with flour, shaking off any excess, then dip in egg. Finally, coat both sides with the breadcrumbs, pressing to help the crumbs stick.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove from heat, cover and let stand until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 2 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a clean bowl and toss with hot sauce.
- Combine celery, carrot, blue cheese, sour cream and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Top each bun with chicken and 1/3 cup of the slaw.
Per serving: 468 calories; 22 g fat (6 g sat, 10 g mono); 131 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 6 g fiber; 700 mg sodium; 467 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (87% daily value), Zinc (24% dv), Iron (19% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv), Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 medium fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Health & Diet Considerations
- High fiber
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2013