Buffalo Chicken Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
All the flavor of Buffalo chicken wings is packed into this irresistible, healthy salad. But unlike chicken wings, you can eat a big serving of this healthy Buffalo chicken salad recipe for just 291 calories.
- 1/2 cup crumbled reduced-fat blue cheese plus 1/4 cup, divided
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons red-wine vinegar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce, such as Frank’s Red Hot
- 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 3 large stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- Combine 1/2 cup blue cheese in a small bowl with buttermilk, 2 teaspoons vinegar and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; mix well, mashing slightly with a fork. Set aside.
- Place chicken in another bowl; sprinkle with flour and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper and toss until coated.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until just cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes. Stir in hot sauce and the remaining 2 teaspoons vinegar and cook, stirring often, until the chicken is coated, about 1 minute.
- Combine lettuce, carrots, celery and cucumber in a large bowl; add the reserved dressing and toss to coat. Divide the salad among 4 plates and top each with an equal portion of chicken and 1 tablespoon each of the reserved blue cheese.
Per serving: 291 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 75 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 32 g protein; 5 g fiber; 607 mg sodium; 832 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (350% daily value), Folate (44% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv), Potassium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2013