Buffalo Chicken Salad
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
All the flavor of Buffalo chicken wings is packed into this irresistible, healthy salad. But unlike chicken wings, you can eat a big serving of this healthy Buffalo chicken salad recipe for just 291 calories.
- 1/2 cup crumbled reduced-fat blue cheese plus 1/4 cup, divided
- 6 tablespoons buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons red-wine vinegar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce, such as Frank’s Red Hot
- 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 3 large stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- Combine 1/2 cup blue cheese in a small bowl with buttermilk, 2 teaspoons vinegar and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; mix well, mashing slightly with a fork. Set aside.
- Place chicken in another bowl; sprinkle with flour and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper and toss until coated.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until just cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes. Stir in hot sauce and the remaining 2 teaspoons vinegar and cook, stirring often, until the chicken is coated, about 1 minute.
- Combine lettuce, carrots, celery and cucumber in a large bowl; add the reserved dressing and toss to coat. Divide the salad among 4 plates and top each with an equal portion of chicken and 1 tablespoon each of the reserved blue cheese.
Per serving: 291 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 75 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 32 g protein; 5 g fiber; 607 mg sodium; 832 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (350% daily value), Folate (44% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv), Potassium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Salad, main dish
- January/February 2013