Buckwheat Crêpes with Apple Compote
From EatingWell: September/October 1994
Cinnamon-spiced apples are wrapped in nutty buckwheat crepes for a delicious brunch treat.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup beer
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil, plus extra for preparing the pan
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 pounds Golden Delicious apples, (8 apples), peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- To make crêpes: Combine flour, whole egg, egg white, milk, beer, 1/4 cup sugar, oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla, salt and water in a food processor; process until smooth. Transfer batter to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight. (The batter should be the consistency of heavy cream. If it is too thick, stir in 1/4 to 1/3 cup water.)
- To make apple compote: Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, swirling the pan, until the butter is a light brown, about 30 seconds. Add apple slices and sprinkle with 1/3 cup sugar. Cook, tossing occasionally, until the apples are tender and lightly caramelized, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and cinnamon. Set aside.
- To cook and fill cr&ecirc;pes: Heat an 8-inch seasoned cr&ecirc;pe pan over medium-high heat until a drop of water dances on the surface. Using a paper towel, rub the pan with a little oil. Ladle about 3 tablespoons of the cr&ecirc;pe batter into the pan and swirl to coat the bottom evenly. Cook until the underside is lightly browned, 30 to 45 seconds. Loosen the cr&ecirc;pe with a spatula, and quickly turn over with your fingertips. Cook until the bottom is lightly browned, 20 to 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter, rubbing pan with more oil when necessary, and stacking the cr&ecirc;pes as they are cooked.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly oil an 11-by-7-inch or similar shallow baking dish or coat it with cooking spray.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of the apple compote along the center of each cr&ecirc;pe. Fold in quarters and arrange the cr&ecirc;pes in the prepared baking dish. Bake, uncovered, until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the batter (Step 1) overnight. Prepare crepes through Step 5. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 311 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 64 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 6 g fiber; 139 mg sodium; 311 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (19% daily value), Magnesium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 fruit, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1994
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)